Everything is connected: 5 technology trends to witness in 2018
As a technology focused communication consultancy, we can’t help but notice existing and emerging trends that will affect our work and lives this year. Digital transformation is a frequently used term that means the analogue ways of conducting business and performing any other tasks in our day to day lives is being replaced by digital technologies mostly powered by the world wide web. While referring to the digital transformation movement, many experts believe that 2018 is the year in which we will witness the fourth industrial revolution. Businesses across all sectors will inevitably be affected by the introduction of new technologies and this will encourage the digitalization of internal processes. Thus, we have listed below the top five technology trends that will trigger major breakthroughs by the end of 2018.
1. Internet of things – The rise of IoT will require a stronger network and new data infrastructures. Different types of devices that are being connected to the internet, whether at home or office, will drive associated technologies to emerge. In fact, there will be approximately 20 billion connected electronics by the year 2020 according to Gartner.
2. Security – Improved security infrastructures will become paramount with the rising concerns around data privacy and the increasing number of DDoS attacks. One of the great examples is the major DDoS attack that took place on the 21st of October 2017 where Mirai botnet was used as the tool to execute the malicious attack. A business that controls a large segment of the internet’s domain name system (DNS) infrastructure remained under attack. This in return brought down important websites like Twitter, the Guardian, Netflix, Reddit and CNN. The development of advanced security solutions will create a shift in the cybersecurity approach. There will no longer be a one-size-fits-all programs but rather a customized solution that will take into consideration types of industry, IT network and infrastructure vendor is protecting.
3. Blockchain – The IoT is growing at a very rapid rate and the amount of data being communicated from all the connected devices is increasing rapidly. The merge of IoT and blockchain is introducing a new approach to record this information in a tamper-resistant ledger. This means that even businesses can make international payments and encrypted transactions without having to depend on a traditional cloud storage system.
4. Artificial intelligence (AI) – Cloud computing has helped artificial intelligence to bloom! In 2018, AI will support businesses and individuals across different domains of their personal and professional lives. This can also mean that with the daily creation of new AI applications the global population will need to upgrade their current IT infrastructures. The most recent example of AI technology is the introduction of autonomous self-driving cars. Keeping in mind that connected cars come with a computer system that is continuously collecting data, ethical questions around data privacy and user security might rise.
5. 5G wireless networks – The IoT and cloud computing have both merged to create the demand for 5G networks. 5G will become a big trend in 2018 and up until the end of 2019! In fact, internet users can expect to have 5G connection on their mobile phones soon as many big telecom operators are already testing this technology. You will be able to enjoy higher download speeds, increased responsiveness and unified connectivity.
The year 2018 is exciting for business and individuals to experience the extraordinary technological advancements that evolve exponentially. With every technological advancement there is an equal amount of opportunities and challenges. It is in hands of organizations and individuals to ride on the wave of the digital transformation and leverage it to their advantage.